My favorite type of portrait shoot is outdoors in a nature setting, so I just wanted to share with you tips of 5 places I’ve found to go for beautiful outdoor portraits in and around the foothills of Colorado.
1. Legacy Park/Lee Martinez Park in Fort Collins This park isn’t a super popular place to go in Fort Collins but it has some really nice features including a variety of winding trails through sections of fields, trees and shrubbery. There’s also a lovely river that runs through the park with an interesting bridge crossing over it and connecting the two locations, Legacy and Lee Martinez.
2. Golden Ponds Park in Longmont This park is small but still offers a variety and isn’t super well traveled so avoiding crowds is easy. There are more water options here with a variety of little ponds spread out throughout the park. It’s also nice that you can stroll a short distance away from the parking lot and you’re able to get a view of the mountains like Longs Peak off in the distance.
3. Boulder Reservoir The northwest side of the reservoir is beautiful! Trails wind in and out along the shore line dotted with trees and views of the flatirons in the background. This trail is pretty popular among runners and hikers but it’s easy to pick a section of the open space just off the main trail where you can find some peace and quiet.
4. South Boulder Trailhead This is one of my favorite places! The views of the flatirons up close from this park are stunning! Also it’s a little bit quieter than going to some place like Chautauqua in terms of staying away from crowds. In the summer, wildflowers spring up around the fields and make for beautiful pops of color. Any season at this location is pretty amazing, it always quiets my heart a little and makes me smile.
5. Lookout Mountain Park in Golden This park offers some pretty stunning views looking off into the distance over the mountains that stretch out behind Golden. There is one main trail here studded with lovely evergreen trees. The trail leads you to a rocky hillside where you can scramble around and enjoy the views.